This salad is an absolute classic! Its so easy and nutritious, and no fuss at all- which is what I like.
The recipe looks longer than it actually is, it takes only half an hour to make. This big batch is perfect for sharing with friends and family, or keeping in the fridge and taking it to work as a quick lunch.
I sometimes serve the salad with some bean koftas, or a bean burger.
Give it a whirl…
-1/2 butternut squash
-2 medium sized potatoes
-2 medium sweet pots
-1 red pepper
-1 tsp paprika
-50g of red quinoa
-50g white quinoa
-2 tbsp tahini
-1 tbsp olive oil
-juice of 2 lemons
-1 tsp honey
-1 garlic clove chopped finely
-1 tsp chopped red chilli
-half a bag of spinach
-2 spring onions chopped
-25g pumpkin seeds
-1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
-pink himalayan salt and cracked black pepper
Its as simple as 1,2,3,4,5,6…
Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Cut the butternut squash, both types of potatoes and red pepper into cubeish shapes (around 1-2 cm long). Put this veg into a bowl and coat with the paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper and spray oil . Pour into a roasting tray and roast in the oven for half an hour, or until the veg is golden brown and soft.
while the veg is in the oven…
2. Cook both types of quinoa and the buckwheat, in the same pan of boiling water for 12 mins, then drain and put to one side.
3. To make the tahini dressing, combine the tahini, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and honey in a bowl and stir. if needed add some water to thin the dressing out.
take the veg out of the oven…
4. Pop the pumpkin seeds in the oven at 220 degrees celsius for 5 minutes to roast
while the pumpkin seeds are in the oven…
5. Combine the roasted veg and quinoa/ buckwheat in a large bowl. Add the spinach, chopped spring onions and chopped coriander leaves and mix together.
6. Add the pumpkin seeds, then pour the tahini dressing over the salad.
Then get eating!